Easy as Pie: Pumpkin Butter
I was perusing Trader Joe’s one warm October afternoon when I came across a jar of pumpkin butter. It was love at first bite. I did my best to quell my instinctual desire to hoard jars; my moderate stash did not last (it’s a seasonal product; such fanaticism is completely justified).
After I moved back to Colorado, I arranged for a friend to ship me a few jars. I rationed and savored the spicy-sweet goodness to the very last drop.
At ten o’clock this morning, I ran out.
On a mission, I ran to the grocery store and devised a plan to create my own pumpkin butter. This is arguably the easiest recipe you will ever undertake. Measure the ingredients in a large saucepan, heat and periodically stir until it attains a butter-like consistency. Cool and enjoy.
Spread on bread, cheesecake (random but delicious!), apples, bananas, pancakes or waffles; swirl into oatmeal, frozen yogurt, ice cream, tea (cinnamon or chai are ideal) or coffee. Any other ingenious pairings? Let me know!
3 ½ Cups Pumpkin Puree (or two 15-oz cans) – pumpkin puree; NOT pumpkin pie filling
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 C Apple Cider or Juice
1 C Packed Brown Sugar (I used ½ cup each of dark brown and light brown)
2½-3½ tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (to taste)
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1. Combine pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, apple juice, cinnamon sticks, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar in a large saucepan.
2. Heat on medium-high until bubbly. Use caution when increasing the heat…the pumpkin puree will erupt out of the saucepan if heated too quickly.
3. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 50 minutes to one hour until thickened. Stir every five minutes, adding pumpkin pie spice if desired.
4. Cool and spoon into small jars. Keeps in the refrigerator for one month; can be frozen for up to three months.
- Pumpkin Pie Bars (kraftrecipes.com)
- It’s Decorative Gourd Season: 21 Recipes for Pumpkin Sweets (sweets.seriouseats.com)
- Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
Posted on October 26, 2013, in Condiments, Cooking, Desserts, Recipes, Seasonal and tagged Autumn cooking, cinnamon, Colorado, condiments, cooking, easy pumpkin butter, Fall, Home, homemade pumpkin butter, Pumpkin, pumpkin butter, Purée, sweet treat, Thanksgiving dessert, Trader Joes. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.