Yes, the pumpkin obsession continues. Inspired by Skinnytaste.com, I was on a mission to create a decadent-tasting cupcake with minimal calories. In spirit of the season, I opted for spice cake mix instead of golden yellow (and with that choice, this recipe is now what I call a “shortcut” dish…)
The cream cheese frosting is absolutely necessary–it elevates the cupcake to an unparalleled level of decadence. If you have a little extra left, save it in an airtight container to spread on your chocolate chip pumpkin banana bread or sugar-dusted graham crackers.
18.25 oz Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines Super Moist Spice Cake Mix
2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 C 100% Pure Pumpkin (canned)
1 C Water
8 oz Philadelphia 1/3 fat cream cheese (do not use fat free!), softened
½ C 100% Pure Pumpkin (canned)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice
5 T Light Brown Sugar (packed)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
2. Combine cake mix and pumpkin spice in a large bowl. Add pumpkin puree and water, gently mixing for about 2 minutes.
3. Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. As the cupcakes bake, prep the frosting. Combine cream cheese, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.
5. Ice cupcakes when they are completely cool. Decorate with your favorite Halloween sprinkles or candies.
- 15 Sweet Pumpkin Recipes (formulamom.com)
- Pam’s Pumpkin Sheet Cake (nancycreative.com)
- Two Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes (praycookblog.com)