Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Banana Bread
This is my favorite time of year; the leaves are turning, blushing the landscape with crimson, ochre and sienna. The days are warm and sunny; the evenings have a certain briskness that hints at the cold winter to come. The best part? Pumpkin!
There are very few things that I love more than pumpkin. Add chocolate to the mix, and all my willpower goes out the window. To welcome this time of year, I decided to pay homage to this glorious fruit (yes, pumpkin is a fruit). My first endeavour?
Pumpkin banana bread, adapted from Skinnytaste.com.
¾ C Unbleached Flour
½ C White Whole Wheat Flour
¾ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 Large Very Ripe Bananas, mashed
¾ C Pumpkin Puree (the can that says 100% pure pumpkin—not the pie filling)
2 T Butter, softened
1/2 C Light Brown Sugar, unpacked
1 Large Egg White
1 Large Egg
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/3 C Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9″x5″ baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, egg, bananas, pumpkin puree and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thick, scraping down sides of the bowl until everything’s evenly combined.
4. Add flour mixture, slowly stirring in with a flexible spatula. Using a low speed, blend with the mixer until just evenly combined–do not over mix! Gently fold in chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake on the center rack for at least 60 minutes (it’s done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean). Cool at least 25-30 minutes before cutting.
If you’re feeling fancy, serve with pumpkin cream cheese frosting…
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles (myhealthyohana.wordpress.com)
- Guilt Free Decadent Malted Marbled Banana Bread (adessertdiet.com)
Posted on October 21, 2012, in Breads, Cooking, Desserts, Food, Recipes, Seasonal and tagged Butter, chocolate chip pumpkin bread, chocolate chips, Halloween treat, healthier baking, Pumpkin, pumpkin banana bread, seasonal baking, Thanksgiving dessert. Bookmark the permalink. 9 Comments.