Why opt for bottled BBQ sauce when there’s a quick way to make your own? This will take any barbecued dish from A-OK to A-MAZING! The complexity of flavors in a homemade sauce cannot be captured in a store-bought version.
If I have a little bit of marinara sauce left from another meal I’ll whip up a batch and freeze it.
1/2 C A-1 Steak Sauce
8 oz Tomato Sauce
2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
1 T Vegetable Oil
1/4 C Packed Brown Sugar
1 T Grated Onion
1 T Mustard
1 tsp Chili Powder (add more for a spicier sauce)
1. Combine ingredients and mix well.
2. Brush on meat after the first five minutes of cooking, painting a generous amount of sauce on either side and turning frequently.
- From the Chronicle Kitchen: Slow Fire (chroniclebooks.com)
- Happy National BBQ Day: Red Bush BBQ Sauce (sexytofu.com)
- Saucy Saturdays: DIY Barbecue Sauce (vegetarianventures.com)