I was tempted to prepare homemade French fries after receiving a picture of some luscious, thick-cut russets from my close friend Nathan. I’m a huge fan of sweet potatoes, so I applied his method using this variety. The experiment was successful!
Greasy, caloric fries are now a thing of the past (thank you grill!) They’re the perfect side dish for a burger, brat or salad. For a traditional taste, russet potatoes can be used in place of sweet potatoes.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds), washed and scrubbed well
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (a Misto sprayer works very well to apply the oil in a fine mist)
- Non-stick cooking spray
1. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold salted water, then bring to a boil. Simmer 5-7 minutes, until slightly resistant when poked with a fork.
2. Drain well and as potatoes are cooling, preheat grill to 350 degrees F.
3. Slice potatoes lengthwise into 1/3″ strips. Coat grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and arrange potatoes in a single layer.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and smoked paprika
5. Grill for 15 minutes, turning every 3-5 minutes until slightly charred and golden.
Serve with your favorite condiment or dressing, enjoy!
- Vegetables on the Side-No Butter Please (jovinacooksitalian.com)
- Need Some New Potato Recipes? (jovinacooksitalian.com)
- Grill Mistress (flourgirl.typepad.com)