1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 C low-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp honey
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2-1 tsp chipotle chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet, heat EVOO over medium heat. Add chicken and cook two minutes per side, until golden. Remove and set aside.
2. Add onions and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add green and red bell pepper after 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with 1/4-1/2 C chicken broth (pan should be hot enough so that the liquid is absorbed during this process). Continue stirring until the onion is tender.
3. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, cocoa powder, honey, vinegar, cinnamon and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet, season with salt and pepper, reduce to a simmer.
4. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Uncover and cook 3-5 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until chicken is completely cooked through and sauce is thickened.
5. Spoon chicken and sauce on top of rice and serve.
Serving idea: serve dish atop a bed of baby spinach or field greens. Add freshly diced tomato, avocado and sour cream and serve with a side of brown rice or tortilla chips.