I had a cooking breakthrough when I decided to create this dish: instead of using olive oil to saute the veggies I used low-sodium vegetable broth. Not only did it add a subtle yet unexpected layer of flavor to the dish, but I eliminated nearly 200 calories in the process! This recipe is extremely versatile; you can add snow peas, bean sprouts, shelled edamame, yellow squash…any veggie you enjoy can be used.
1/4-1/2 C Reduced Sodium Vegetable Broth
1/2 Yellow Onion, halved and sliced
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, seeded & sliced
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, seeded & sliced
1/3 C Mushrooms of choice (Crimini used for this recipe) roughly chopped
2/3 C Fresh Broccoli, rinsed & coarsely chopped
4 oz Chicken Breast, cooked (see cooking instructions below)
1/2 C Brown Rice, cooked
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Nonstick Cooking Spray
4 T C East-West Nonfat Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle chicken breast with 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp dried oregano. Coat skillet with nonstick cooking spray and sear on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, until slightly golden–don’t worry about cooking it all the way through yet; searing ensures moist and tender chicken. Also, use a clean skillet to cook veggies as this one has been contaminated with raw chicken.
2. Place on cookie sheet coated with cooking spray and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through & tender. 1/2 of a chicken breast is one serving.
1. Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and warm on medium-high setting. Add 2 T vegetable broth, onion, a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper and kosher salt. Saute onions until soft and golden, about 2-3 minutes, adding additional tablespoons of broth during cooking to maintain moisture in pan. Add bell peppers, cover and cook for 2-3 more minutes, adding more broth as needed (broth should be absorbed by veggies during this process). Add broccoli and another sprinkle of black pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender. Add mushrooms & stir until evenly combined.
2. Slice chicken into thin strips and toss with 2 T Nonfat Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce. Add chicken to veggies. Drizzle remaining Teriyaki sauce over mixture and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Spoon veggies over brown rice and enjoy!